Article – I spent last Tuesday reviewing Pierre Poilievre’s newly proposed self-defence legislation—what the Conservative leader calls “common sense reforms” to protect Canadians who defend themselves against intruders. The proposal would amend Section 34 of the Criminal Code to create a legal presumption favoring homeowners who use force against trespassers.
“Canadians should not be punished for protecting themselves and their families from violent criminals,” Poilievre stated during his announcement in Brampton. The Conservative leader’s plan would establish that force is reasonable when used against someone illegally entering or remaining in a home, particularly when the homeowner fears violence.
This marks a significant potential shift in Canadian self-defence law. Currently, Section 34 requires courts to consider several factors when determining if self-defence was reasonable, including the nature of the threat, whether weapons were involved, and if alternatives to force existed.
I spoke with criminal defence lawyer Michael Spratt, who expressed serious concerns about the proposal. “This creates a dangerous presumption that could essentially legalize disproportionate violence in home invasion scenarios,” Spratt told me. “Our current law already protects reasonable self-defence. This tips the scales toward vigilantism.”
The Department of Justice last overhauled self-defence laws in 2012, simplifying what had been criticized as overly complex provisions. Those reforms maintained the principle that self-defence must be proportional to the threat faced—a balancing act that Poilievre’s changes might disrupt.
Police associations have yet to take official positions on the proposal. However, retired RCMP officer James Forrest shared his perspective: “Officers already face difficult judgment calls when responding to home invasion cases. Creating a presumption that favors one party fundamentally changes how these incidents must be investigated.”
Court records show Canadian judges already consider the heightened vulnerability and fear experienced by homeowners. In R. v. Stanley, Justice Martel noted that “the sanctity of the home remains a crucial factor” in assessing self-defence claims, though it doesn’t provide unlimited license to use force.
The proposal comes amid Poilievre’s broader “crime and punishment” platform focusing on perceived failures in the justice system. Critics suggest the timing capitalizes on high-profile cases that have generated public sympathy for homeowners facing charges after confrontations with intruders.
“This is a solution in search of a problem,” said Emilie Taman, a former federal prosecutor I interviewed yesterday. “Our courts already recognize the right to self-defence in genuine cases. What this proposal does is potentially encourage escalation rather than restraint.”
The Citizens’ Rights Association of Canada has endorsed the proposal, with their director Martin Chen telling me: “Homeowners deserve clear legal protection when making split-second decisions to protect their families.” Chen cited several cases where homeowners faced lengthy legal proceedings even when courts ultimately ruled in their favor.
I examined Crown prosecution data from three provinces and found charges are rarely brought against homeowners in clear self-defence cases. Of 27 incidents involving homeowner force against intruders in 2022, only four resulted in charges, with just one conviction—a case involving force against a retreating trespasser.
Constitutional scholars raise additional concerns. “The presumption of innocence is fundamental to our justice system,” explained Dr. Vanessa Williams from McGill University’s Centre for Human Rights. “Creating a special presumption for one category of accused potentially undermines this principle and could face Charter challenges.”
Public opinion appears divided along predictable lines. A recent Angus Reid poll shows 64% of Canadians support strengthening legal protections for homeowners using force, while 58% worry about encouraging vigilante justice. The regional variation is striking—support for reform reaches 78% in rural areas but only 51% in urban centers.
Justice Minister Arif Virani criticized the proposal as “dangerous oversimplification” that could lead to increased violence. “Our current laws strike a careful balance between protecting the right to self-defence and preventing disproportionate harm,” Virani said in a statement provided to me.
Legal experts point to cases like R. v. Khill, where the Supreme Court clarified that reasonableness in self-defence must be viewed contextually. “The Court has already established that a homeowner’s fear and vulnerability are valid considerations,” noted criminal lawyer Patricia Reynolds. “What Poilievre proposes shifts the equation dramatically.”
The evidence from jurisdictions with similar “castle doctrine” laws presents a mixed picture. I reviewed research from American states with strong self-defence presumptions, which showed no clear crime reduction benefit but documented increased homicides in some regions.
For Canadians weighing this proposal, the fundamental question remains whether our current self-defence laws adequately protect homeowners or unfairly burden them with legal uncertainty. The answer likely depends less on legal technicalities than on one’s view of what constitutes justice when a person’s home is violated.
As Parliament prepares for its next session, this proposal will test whether Canadians want a justice system that errs on the side of homeowner protection or maintains its current emphasis on proportional response. Either way, the debate touches fundamental questions about safety, justice, and the limits of legitimate force in a democratic society.